Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why It's So Easy

I don’t often have time to watch the news in the morning. And when I do, I regret it. Here's why.

I like to eat my Lucky Charms, grab a breakfast bar and go find some caffeine before I get to work. But the other morning I was actually ahead of schedule and not ten minutes behind like I usually am.

So I thought I would try this whole ‘being a responsible informed adult’ thing and watch CNN while I drink my disintegrating marshmallows without a spoon.

Within minutes I realize why it’s so easy to judge strangers. It’s mostly because they do stupid things like sleep with monkeys

or become too focused on the bubble wrap outside of an iPod.

Just a note- the pet owner explained that the chimp had met the victim on multiple occasions but didn’t recognize her because of her new haircut. Just as the man who almost got railed by the train forgot that he was on the subway platform.

In response I do have to defend their excuses though. I really can’t judge. Just last week when I was at the Bronx Zoo I did get quite upset when the new female zebra blatantly ignored me when just last month I fed her and had even taken a picture with her.

Also there have been times when I have been down in the subway and completely forgotten that there were trains around. I can’t tell you how many times I have been waiting to go downtown on the 4 train and gotten so caught up that I just assumed the subway was an intricate underground link of cigarette and soda shops. That train surprises me every time.

And yes, I am in a physically abusive relationship with sarcasm. It’s really a co-dependency struggle at this point.

1 comment: